Come worship with us!
During the COVID-19 pandemic Mount Calvary has worked hard to maintain weekly services! We are currently offering Sunday worship service at 9:30AM in the sanctuary or in the parking lot, for those who are more comfortable with that.
Please contact Jenna in the office at (814) 864-6831 with any questions! We also ask that the congregation continue to wear masks if not fully vaccinated, and follow the ushers in and out of the sanctuary to avoid large gatherings.
Our Sunday morning services are more traditional worship services with music played on the organ and piano. We follow the Revised Common Lectionary for our lessons and Lutheran liturgy for the service. Communion is celebrated each week and all believers in Christ are welcome to participate. Due to COVID-19 we are not singing inside the church, as to not increase the spread of germs, but music will still be played during the service. We appreciate your understanding, and hope to be back to singing together as soon as possible!
Continued parking lot services and livestreams!
For those who may still not feel comfortable attending in-person, we will still broadcast our 9:30AM service over the radio for those who would rather continue to gather in the parking lot. The 9:30AM service will continue to be livestreamed on Facebook and posted to YouTube as well.
Check out the Mount Calvary YouTube channel!
Guidelines for Drive-In Worship
- This is a drive in service. The expectation is you will stay in your car, unless you have to use the restroom. For everyone’s safety, we don’t want you to get out of your car and go talk to friends. Feel free to wave and honk; it’s good to see everyone! But make sure you are also following correct distancing and staying safe in your car.
- When you arrive for worship, you’ll receive a bulletin from our outdoor usher. It is required that the driver have a mask on when you receive this bulletin.
- You will then be directed to the parking attendant who will help you find a spot to park in. Again, when talking with that attendant, a mask is required.
- When you get settled, tune your radio to AM 1700.
- We will be singing hymns. Because of how singing can help spread the virus, we ask that you keep your windows rolled up, especially during the hymns. We appreciate your help with this.
- We will be having communion. Pastor Kristen will consecrate it at the table by the stairs and then move to each car, approaching the driver window from the rear to avoid face to face contact. Pastor Kristen will give the driver wafers for the number of people in the car. Masks are required for this as well. If you are not ready to receive communion yet, just keep your windows rolled up.
- Offering will be received on the way out of the parking lot. A person will be standing with a basket near the driveway, where you can give them your offering envelope. Again, masks are required for this part. You are also more than welcome to continue to give as you have been – through mailing in your offering or using Simply Giving.
- Bathrooms will be open. It is expected, though, that you will wear a mask when going inside and that you will wipe down the space afterwards with wipes, including high traffic areas like toilet handles, sink handles, the door handle, and light switch. We appreciate your help in keeping the next person safe.
Along with regular services, Mount Calvary holds youth group events and weekly Sunday School for children (during the school year) and adults. We also participate in special services involving the Erie Lutheran Parish (ELP), which include beach services and special festival day services. While these events are on hold right now, we strive to continue to be a welcoming community! If there are ways we can assist you or help guide you through the service, please don't hesitate to ask a neighbor or Pastor Kristen!
Adult Sunday School
This group meets in the adult lounge from 8:30 to 9:15. We eat breakfast and watch different educational videos. Then we have an informal discussion about the different topics that are presented.
Children's Sunday School
Sunday School takes place from 8:30 until 9:15 every Sunday from fall until summer. We have a variety of dedicated teachers who provide wonderful education based on the lectionary and Biblical stories. Sunday School begins with its own mini-service as a group. Contact the church for more information!
Check out our Prayground!
We recently added a prayground, a space for younger children within the sanctuary. Coloring books, quiet toys, and other items to play with and the children are invited to come up for a children's sermon, blessing during communion, and to participate in the passing of the peace. We've realized children will feel more connected to worship and to God if they are introduced to church in a way that invites them in and values their gifts.